Saturday, June 27, 2015

Port Dalhousie June 27, 2015

It wasn't raining when I arose. The forecast is for gale winds starting at 3:00 PM, and inches of rain. It did start raining about 10:30 AM and has not stopped. The forecast is not good for tomorrow either, so it looks like we will be here tonight and tomorrow night for sure. Hopefully we can split Monday for Bronte, which would be what we planned originally.

We did get some good financial news today. First, I was able to talk the marina manager into not charging us last night since we got in so late, and we agreed to stay for 2 additional nights. Second, I discovered everything is on sale here. If you pay in cash the merchants treat the American dollar on par with the Canadian. But if you charge it, the exchange rate is 81%. Capital One emails me every time there is an international charge on my account. So I learned that the $240 Welland Transit only cost $194.98 in American money. Yea! So diesel, instead of being $1.30 per liter ($5.20 per gallon) will actually be about $4.21 per gallon - much better!

Kerry made us a nice chicken salad for lunch. She really enjoys having time to prepare food that is tasty and loves to work on the presentation as well.



Today is Jola's birthday. Kerry invited her and Jim over for a Birthday Tea. She has the menus planned as clam chowder, shrimp on lemon rounds, and other savory delights. Speaking of tea, can you believe Kerry forgot her tea pot? We visit each Goodwill and thrift shop now, searching for the perfect pot.

Our forward hatch is still leaking over Kerry's pillow. My screw tightening did not work. More needs to be done, but I'll have to wait for dry weather. I am going to try my Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure next to seal wound fittings and screws. Nothing is obvious about where the leak is occurring. Otherwise, every thing on Annie is working well. We have discovered that taping a garbage bag to the ceiling under the hatch is more effective than catching the drips with a bowl on the mattress.



The internet here is too slow to load pictures. Actually I am lucky to have it at all. Jim's wifi extender can pick up the weak marina wifi and I am using his network on my boat. I have some nice pictures to post  both for yesterday and today, but will have to do it another time. Look back later if you want to see them.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Jola! 🎉🎁 Hope Kerry finds her tea pot that she loves! ☕️ Wishing you sunshine and light winds! Still raining off and on here. ☔️

    ReplyDelete
  2. The birthday emoticons are not working and are showing question marks on my comments. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! Those freighters are so huge! Everyone looks great! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete