Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Rusho Bay July 28, 2015

There was such a nice breeze blowing through the V-berth this morning that I slept in until 7:00. Of course I turned on Fox News to listen when I wasn't dozed off. Before Kerry got up I was able to confirm that there were no user serviceable parts in my electric horns. Jim decided to show me how his horn sounded now that he had got it working, and guess what. All I heard was clicking from his switch. No sound. At least I was able to confirm that these captains were not horny! I made a post on the Nordic Tug Owners Group to see if anyone could tell me if replacement parts were available. Jim sent a picture of Annie to me taken with the rising sun shining.

 

I made blueberry pancakes for Kerry's breakfast. We enjoyed them on the upper deck. What a gorgeous setting. I could have easily spent another day here.We decided to pull anchors at 11:00. Liberty is going to go along at Annie's speed. We plan to head to an anchorage near Clayton, NY, probably Rusho Bay. This could likely be our last night at anchor on this trip. We plan to be docked at all future locations. We love to anchor though, so if we get another chance we will likely take it. We are going to Clayton tomorrow, one day earlier than planned. No one will take reservations as this is the Antique Boat Show weekend, so we hope an earlier arrival will secure us a spot. There are many beautiful old wooden boats cruising by. I'll try to post a picture of one or two.


The trip to Rusho Bay was uneventful, but interesting. The area around Alex Bay is crazy. Boats zipping every which direction -  big boats, tour boats, small boats, freighters. There is a lot to see also, like Boldt Castle.



Plus there is a serious current running through there, a couple knots at least. The trip was 12 miles. On the way we passed the Thousand Islands Bridge, and a boat house that has seen better days. I don't think the boat escaped. One funny event did happen on our cruise. A small powerboat went by, and one of the occupants was looking at me and waving his arms like crazy. I wondered if he was teasing me about something. Then I realized what he was doing. He was spelling out O-H-I-O! I gave him a thumb's up and got a huge smile in return. Go Bucks!




Rusho Bay is a beautiful anchorage, prettier than I remembered. We were here with Lew and Gretchen Myers when we had Excalibur. We anchored first, then Liberty rafted off of us, and we spent the afternoon together. First order of business was an anchor beverage, of course, which turned out to be margaritas today.



The scenery here reminds me of the North Channel - granite rocks and pine trees. Here are a couple random pictures.



We spent the afternoon reading and relaxing. Both of us fussed with our horns. Mine started honking, then stopped, then started again. I must have hit it in the right place. Jim had similar results. Strange. I did take another swim. The water is so beautiful that it is hard for me to stay out of it, although the other three crew had no problem doing that. Jim brought out his Captain Morgan's Private Stock rum about 3:30. Kerry and Jola produced a fantastic dinner of vegetable lasagna and grilled romaine lettuce with butterscotch pudding and chocolate for desert. 


I really regret that this is probably our last anchorage of the trip. These last two days have been amazing. As I type this I hear a loon in the distance. These are the days I imagined when I planned this cruise last winter. We are so fortunate that it has worked out for us. New adventures await next week, however, namely the Erie Canal which will be new to us. 














1 comment:

  1. ️️️️Brillig here- OMG it does look like the north channel ! Our anchorages were also very enamoring -
    It sounds like we are all living the dream.
    Peace, Love & Joy
    Brlllig

    ReplyDelete